Sunday, April 3, 2011

Melinda and Sarah Are About To Need A Transfusion


April 2, 2011

INDIA WON THE CRICKET WORLD CUP!!!! It was a very close game against Sri Lanka which India came from behind to win. Melinda and I were scrunched up in our chairs holding our breath, praying, and adhering to crazy superstitions we developed during the 8 hours the game lasted. (You might think I’m exaggerating the time thing but I’m really not.) For example, the first two times Melinda left her seat while India was batting, the Sri Lankans got wickets. (They got the batter out.) The third time she got up, a really good Sri Lankan bowler (pitcher) entered the game, and I seriously contemplated yelling for her to get back in her chair. After that she didn’t leave again. Then we decided that India did better when I wasn’t looking at the tv, so I read a book and watched the replays of all the good stuff that happened. I know it’s ridiculous but we couldn’t help ourselves.  After the game, our landlord’s daughter came over and leapt into Melinda’s arms. Our landlord’s wife gave us hugs and her daughter passed out chocolate, there was much jumping and yelling and general euphoria. Then we all rushed downstairs to see the celebration outside. As before there were parades, fireworks, random (small) explosions, and  a lot of people doing stupid stuff like standing on the seat of their friend’s motorcycle with their arms straight out to the side as they flew down the road. I really wanted to kick into mom-gear and grab that boy and say “Sit down! Sit up straight! And put your hands on the bike, you moron!”  

The last time India won the World Cup was in 1983. And this is the first time in history that 2 Asian teams have played in the final. I understand Australia has pretty much dominated the Cricket scene in the recent past, and I’m sure England has won the title as well. 

Tonight was really exciting and I’m so glad I got to experience it. Honestly though, I think the Indians were more excited about beating Pakistan last Wednesday.  As my landlord’s family put it, Pakistan is their “arch-enemy” and the Cricket game between them was “war”.  I wonder what the world would be like if all international conflicts could be resolved through sporting events….

No comments:

Post a Comment