Saturday, February 12, 2011

Melinda and Sarah Shift to a New Flat


February 10
Tonight is my first night in my very first apartment. And it’s in India. Yup that’s right folks. Sometimes I’m amazed at how life turns out. Since this is my very first night in my very first apartment, which is located in India, I am remaining positive. I will not think about the fact that we badly need an exterminator to come and take care of the cockroaches crawling up our water pipes. Tonight, I will forget that there is an electrical plug which has popped off the wall in my bathroom leaving all the wires exposed. I will forget that the plug in the kitchen doesn’t work, we have no microwave, no oven, no stove, and no gas to cook with. I will not consider the fact that the floors and furniture are filthy, but we don’t have a broom, or that our counters and table tops are covered in unwashed dishes. I will ignore the fact that my toilet is broken, and when you flush Melinda’s toilet water shoots out of the handle. We have no internet and my phone is about to die, but our Indian plug adapter is locked in someone else’s apartment.  So, I have no way to contact my family or friends, but that’s not important. The mattress on my bed might be an inch thick but apparently foam to sleep on is not included in the apartment setup. Not to worry though, I’ve been told, and I quote, “After about 2 weeks your back will stop hurting.” None of these things will depress me, or make me wish I was still in my language city with my friends, comfortable bug free room, and functional plumbing and electricity. I am being positive. I am thinking about the fact that my apartment is in town, as opposed to the middle of nowhere where it used to be. I have a super cute colorful new bedspread, and my own room for the first time since October. Tomorrow, I will wake up and demand that we get an exterminator, plumber, and electrician in here ASAP. And I will start figuring out the internet situation. I will have access to the rest of my luggage, including plug adapters.  Melinda and I will do everything we can to get someone to buy foam for our beds. If all else fails, we’ll buy it ourselves. Forty-five dollars is worth a good night’s rest to me. I will think about the fact that I have the opportunity to make new friends, start new projects, and attend a church where English is spoken. I will thoroughly enjoy being able to stay up as late as I want and not having to go to bed when Melinda is tired. Tonight is my very first night, in my very first apartment, and I’m determined to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment